

## **CBKA Committee Meeting**

7.30 pm, Thursday 6 July 2017 at Fulbourn Centre, Home End, Cambridge  
**Minutes**

**1. Apologies:** Pam Fearn (PF), Doug Brown (DB).

In attendance: Chris Evans (CE), Paul Schofield (PS), David Abson (DA), Stephen Poyser (SP), Amber Slamaite (AS), Liz Cox (LC), Bob Dawkins (BD), Peter Bates (PB).

**2. Minutes of previous committee meeting held on 4 May 2017**

**3. Matters arising**

SP: Item 3 – someone to take over from JC. As Hamish Symington is leaving, we need to address this urgently.

CE: We shall discuss this later as we have in fact 7 people leaving in total.

**4. Officers' reports:**

4.1. **Chairman** – nothing to report.

4.2. **Secretary** – nothing to report.

4.3. **Treasurer** – see attached.

BD: The committee has ratified the accounts unanimously.

**4.4. Editor**

PB: just to say that there will be another edition of the News coming out soon.

**4.5 Membership Secretary**

LC: I am still in contact with Information Commissioner regarding the swarm collectors' list. I think it needs to be made clear to our members how the new system works so that everyone would be aware of this. Hopefully, this will reduce the number of enquiries coming through in relation to this.

CE: The main issue with distributing the list in its entirety is that it contains personal details of those who would like a swarm. We need to get the message across that we no longer have a swarm co-ordinator as such. The current system is far more efficient.

AS: Facebook has been used a lot this year for the first time as far as swarms are concerned: information about swarm location is being posted

**5. Working Group reports:**

**5.1. Marketing/Outreach**

**5.2. Education & Training** – see report attached.

SP: Beginners' course now has 85 people signed up to it. I may not be able to run the beginners' course next year. SP and BD need to work out how payments will be accepted for the course. I am having a meeting in 2-3 weeks' time to discuss how hives should be moved – this has come about as a result of the hive floor becoming separated from the hive when it was being moved and stinging a passer-by. It would be great if we could find someone to put a metal loop on the barrier just to make it easier to lock it – CE and SP to look into this.

A lady donated two hives to the CBKA. How would we thank her?

AS: I would be happy to write to her to say thank you and invite her to our Annual Dinner.

The committee has unanimously agreed on this course of action.

SP: We need to install some sort of a timer system whereby lights at the shed would go off automatically. Also, I would like the money to buy a petrol strimmer.

The committee has agreed to approve these actions.

## **6. Swam list – how does the system work? Who is the list circulated to?**

See the above discussion.

## **7. Trailer – should it be repaired or replaced?**

CE: It cannot be repaired locally – it would have to go back to the manufacturer. We have not been given the exact cost of either yet..

SP: Jane Cornell reports that two cars currently need to be used to transport everything. Finding towers is never easy because it ends up being a very long day for that person – this is a con against having a trailer. The volunteers enjoy everything being on the same level as it is easier for them to move around – again another reason not to have the trailer. I am not sure I would recommend replacing the trailer – perhaps we need to invest in a different kind of a gazebo – a collapsible one. Furthermore, storing the trailer is also an issue. We do have two gazebos at the moment.

LC: Have you thought of an ice cream van?

SP: From the insurance point of view, it would be a nightmare.

CE: When I attend shows, we manage to fit everything into our car, so it is doable – we take tables, honey, fudge, gazebo, dead-bee collection – it all fits into an estate car.

LC: So if we did not replace or repair the trailer, we could get around the problem of finding a tower. I do not know whether the alternative of having an additional person is achievable.

SP/BD: This goes back to succession planning.

The committee has unanimously decided that we need to explore the options of a repair or a sale. The trailer will not be replaced.

SP: For the Honey Show though we do need to resolve the storage issue.

CE: We have been offered a hire at a reduced rate – we could just do this for the Honey Show.

The committee has approved this action unanimously.

## **8. Hamish's departure – see copy of the email attached.**

CE: We have 8 positions to fill now. Neither I nor Judith will be back next year (Judith is giving up completely and I am not eligible for re-election next year), Hamish Symington is cutting back, Jane Cornell and Bob Dawkins as well as Stephen Poyser all are leaving (SP will no longer be able to do the beginners' course). Jonathan Baynes is now a seasonal bee inspector and therefore he is leaving as well.

We should plan to do a recruitment drive in Oct/Nov.

LC: Should we fix a date now? What works best is personal approach. We all know who is on the list – maybe we should all talk to them directly.

SP: Most people on the list only want to help for half a day on the stall as opposed to being on the committee. Perhaps another question that we should

CE: We should list the positions on our Facebook group page.

SP: It should also go into the next edition of the News as well.

LC: I feel that we are in a very serious situation and we should call an extraordinary meeting in order to make our members aware just of how dire the situation.

CE: We should have a social event – we need to tell members what is going on and that we urgently need to recruit so that they could get begin shadowing the roles that they will be filling. We cannot afford to lose the expertise. The members must be made aware that the CBKA will essentially shut down if new people do not come forward.

SP: We need to make members aware so that if the CBKA folds, it would not come as a surprise to anyone.

AS: I will look into a venue for 19 October – with lots of parking. 7.15pm onwards.

PS/SP/BD: we should have nibbles as we really want this to be an inviting evening to people, where they could enjoy themselves.

DA: Laminate the job descriptions on the night.

PS: We must do a big drive for what roles are available – advertise the roles, job descriptions via Facebook, newsletters and the News.

#### **Hamish's email:**

LC: who will do the newsletters? I would be happy to print the newsletters for those members who do not have email.

AS: I would only be happy to do this as an emergency cover. I really cannot commit to this long term as I just cannot take on any additional commitments.

LC: Could PB address the issue of the CBKA News printing and postage with Jane Cornell? As this needs to be resolved.

PB: Happy to get the printing and postage of the CBKA News sorted.

#### **9. Honey Show**

SP: Could Judith do the cash flow?

CE: I will make sure she does.

#### **10. New CBKA Apiary**

SP: We had a very good meeting – DB is currently in the process of preparing the minutes of the meeting. As soon as they have been ratified, they will be circulated. We are looking at a proper facility whereby we would have an equipment shed, a laboratory, a kitchen.

#### **11. Willingham group**

SP: I had an email from the Chair of the Willingham beekeepers' group asking me if I knew a supplier of queens. I did not know this group even existed. Our stance always was that we would help financially any new group. I believe that this perhaps something to do with the community orchard.

LC: I have noticed that there are a lot of our members in Willingham but not aware of the group at all.

SP: I shall get back to Stephen then and explore ways in which we could help/support them.

#### **12. CBKA Annual Dinner – speaker**

AS: I do need ideas for who I could invite as a speaker. The venue has been confirmed and I will be giving them expected numbers on the basis of how many attended on average in the past.

#### **13. Avanti Gas – see copy of the email attached.**

The committee has agreed to keep in touch with Avanti Gas as they could help us with the new apiary. SP/DB to action this.

#### 14. Forthcoming Committee meeting dates:

Meeting Date	Report Submission Deadline:
7 September 2017	2 September 2017
2 November 2017	29 October 2017
4 January 2018	29 December 2017

#### 15. AOB

SP: I may need to buy another virtual hive because we currently have one at Impington, I keep one at home – if we have a trailer, we would usually keep one there and the final one would always we kept at Wandlebury for PAMs.

Unanimously approved by the Committee.

SP: S. Mumford emailed us a while back saying that they would like bees on their farm.

DA: Could I have the details please and I will make contact with him.

SP: One of our beginners from this year is an artist and she has produced a postcard showing what colour the bees see.

DA: The speaker from Syngenta for 20 July has now been confirmed and this event needs advertising. AS to action this. Also, we need ideas for what other talks to organise.

AS: I shall ask our members through Facebook and we will then we able to arrange accordingly.

Metal loop on the barrier	CE/SP
Invite the lady, who donated two hives to us, to Annual Dinner	AS
Repair or sale of the trailer	All
Look for a venue for a recruitment evening	AS
Maintain contact with Willingham group	SP
Speaker for Annual Dinner	All
Avant Gas	SP/DB
Purchase another virtual hive	SP
Publicity for talks	AS